Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Conversation About Darwin

Charlie Rose had James Watson, who discovered the structure of DNA, and Edward O. Wilson, the famous evolutionary biologist, talking about Darwin, evolution, and science for a full hour. It is beyond awesome. You can watch it here. This kind of discussion makes me geeky heart so happy. It is interesting to hear them say that cracking the secrets of how the mind works will be the next landmark discovery in science. I am getting right on that, because that is clearly how I'll get my Nobel Prize. ;) LOL

That is not to say I don't disagree with Watson on some issues, because he can be really old school, and some of his ideas appear to hold some unsavory prejudices. Nevertheless, in that interview, he asks one of the most interesting question I have ever heard, "How do you have a just society when genetic is injust?" I'll ponder that for a minute or two or ten thousand. Wow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home