Saturday, September 02, 2006

I Want A Chef's Knife!

Most of you know my love of kitchen utensils and appliances. I'm getting really frustrated with my crappy knives. Really, really frustrated. I was trying to cut some fish last night, and it was an exercise in patience. I have been looking at chef's knives, but today, I decided to go investigate a bit further in stores. It turns out that the kind of 8" chef's knife that I'd like is priced for at least 130$. Hard to justify such a purchase. So I decided that to justify spending 130$ on a knife, I would use it as a reward to myself to help move along the thesis. LOL Hence, I shall buy myself a chef's knife only when I have completed a full first draft of my thesis. That should get me writing fast. LOL After successfully defending my thesis, even if I'm broke, I'm getting a Cusinart! Kitchen stuff= good bribery for me.

In other news, I got to see a swarm of police cars close the intersection I was crossing on Thursday. The policemen were saying a man in a car said he had a bomb strapped to him. Lovely. It turned out not to be the case, thank God.

Besides that, I started my clinical internship yesterday. Very exciting stuff. It is going to be so much fun. :)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger hello jamie: said...

Gen, I have a good chef's knife, but honestly, I use my 5" or 7" Santoku knife for almost everything in my kitchen, including meat. My knives are all Calphalon and I think they are just as good as my mom's Henkels, albeit a little cheaper. I think I got my Santokus for $30-$40 each.

Check it out.

I would spend the extra $30 on a sharpener. Good knives last forever if you take care of them.

September 3, 2006 at 12:09 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Thank you so much for the heads up, J. The knives I have currently are not horrible, but they've been used by all my roommies over the years, and just don't quite cut as well as they used to. I might check out those knives because a 30$ knife is something I can get behind. :)

September 3, 2006 at 8:25 p.m.  
Blogger hello jamie: said...

I love Calphalon knives, and my mom used to own a kitchen shop and thinks they are up-to-par so I believe her. I have an 8" chef, 7" and 5" Santoku (use the most), a paring knife (next most), a tomato knife, and a bread knife. I stand behind them 100%.

September 4, 2006 at 1:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your title just made me laugh. Right away, I thought: She may want a chef's knife, but I want a Chef!

As much I as applaud Jamie for pointing you towards something more reasonable, I really liked the idea of the incentive program. We'll have to think of something else to motivate you. There's got to be a pill somewhere!

I hope your 1st week at the hospital is going well.

September 7, 2006 at 8:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home