Sunday, April 30, 2006

Time Flies By When You're Having Fun...

Or are marking exams. Life has been pretty darn busy recently, which is why I have been so sparse in my presence.

My friend Eve was in TO last week. The weather was total crap but we had a great time. On Saturday, we went to Insomnia for some yummy brunch (I had a lovely mimosa with grapefruit juice and French toast with a citrus batter!), and then went shopping. On Sunday, we went to see Tristram Shandy, and then, vegged with my Office DVD. The rest of the time was spent with my marking and Eve playing videogames! Hee.

This weekend, I came to Montreal for a dentist appointment and to bid my parents farewell. The 'rents are gone to France for 3 weeks. I'm sure they will have a lovely time.

I had a nice time here. Saw lots of friends, ate good food, all that lovely stuff. I don't know if I mentioned this before though, but one of my friends who I have known forever seems to want nothing to do with me anymore. It just saddens me because I don't know why. It started last summer out of the blue. Either she is mad at something that I don't know I've done or she just decided we've moved on. She doesn't return my emails or ever makes the effort to come out with me when I'm in town but then, I've talked to her on her birthday (and today) and she was all: "We should try to meet up." without my prompting it. Talk about mixed messages. Anyway, as much as it saddens me, I'm also fed up to be doing some effort when she doesn't seem to care enough to say if there is something wrong or she doesn't want to see me anymore. So yeah, I guess I'm not going to write or call anymore. 15 years of friendship down the drain. Sad.

In other totally unrelated news, Stephen Colbert was hosting the White House Correspondants' Dinner last night. The man was fearless in his jokes. President Bush was sitting 20 feet from him, and let's just say he didn't exactly spare him or the press corps. Check it out.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

Sorry about your friend chica. I also had a high school friend who stopped hanging out with me 7 years after we graduated. Just like that. She then called me right before our 10 year hs reunion like nothing happened. I do talk to her every once in a while, but I don't try to keep in touch like we did before.

*hugs*

May 1, 2006 at 12:11 a.m.  
Blogger hello jamie: said...

sometimes people just go through phases. I have a couple of friends that I didn't talk to for years, and then we fell right back into the friendship... don't fret. She's lucky to have you!!

May 1, 2006 at 2:56 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Thanks you guys for your nice comments. Maybe it is a phase, but it certainly feels like something more permanent. I know she is the type of person who can hold a grudge forever, but who will never tell the person that she even is or why she is. (I've seen it happen first hand many times.) That's always been a very silly part of her personality. So who knows if I did something I'm unaware of having done?

It is all an addition of small things really. It started last summer when she bailed on plans we had with another friend because "of work stuff that had to be done immediately." Except I learned later on that she actually went out that night with concert tickets a friend got at the last minute! At Xmas, she couldn't make it out any time in the 2 weeks I was here. Today she bailed out on dinner "because she had to do work", which is fair enough except that she has a flexible schedule, and I doubt she couldn't come out for 2 hours when she was out with friends she sees many times a week all night last night, especially when she knew I was in town and wanted to go out today. I called for her b-day; she never bothered to call for mine. So yeah, I just have to let it go. Otherwise, I'm just the one looking silly, like I'm hanging on or something.

We've known each other since 7th grade. I know her pretty well, and it really seems like she has bailed on us, and can't be bothered to be clear about it in words since she says stuff like "give me a call sometimes" or "send me an email to let me know how it is going" the last 2-3 times I've talked to her on the phone. Regardless, I can take a hint about what her non-verbal behaviour is conveying even if it makes me sad.

Anyway, I don't want to/won't make a fuss because I want to keep a good relationship with a mutual friend, who is now one of this girl's closest friend but whom I genuinely like and who used to be closer to me before I left for Toronto. I get a sense from that other friend (although she hasn't said anything) that she knows the other one is avoiding me but I won't put her in an awkward situation by asking more details.

May 1, 2006 at 5:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home