Monday, June 12, 2006

Science and Food

Yeah baby. Two of my favourite things to talk about.

I'm reading an article in June edition of Scientific American called "The Science Behind Sudoku". It's fascinating to learn the history of it. It takes its roots from what used to be called Latin squares that date back to the Middle Ages, but Sudoku grids were created in their current form in 1979 by a man called Howard Garns. The article also explains some of the strategies to solve the problems, and the mathematical problems that have been posed by this game. Just fascinating. I highly recommend it.

Besides that, I did a bit of cooking over the weekend. Since my mom and dad were coming over on Saturday, I cleaned and scrubbed but I also made my blueberry-peach crisp, which all my roommates have loved over the years. My mom asked for a second serving so that's a good sign. I also made my tofu salad, which I just love to eat in the summer. It's easy to make, and very healthy. Here is the recipe for that:

Tofu Salad (from the Essential Vegetarian Cookbook)

Preparation time: 20 minutes plus 1 hour marinating

Serves 4.

Ingredients:

- 2 teaspoons of Thai sweet chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 250 g (8 oz) firm tofu
- 105 g (3½ oz) snow peas, cut into 3 cm (1¼ inch) lengths
- 2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 105 g (3½ oz) red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons crushed peanuts

Instructions:

1. Place the chilli sauce, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and oil in a small screw-top jar and shake well. Cut tofu in 2 cm (3/4 inch) cubes. Place the tofu in a medium bowl, pour the marinade over and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Place the snow peas in a small pan, pour boiling water over and leave to stand for 1 minute, then drain and plunge into iced water. Drain well.

3. Add snow peas, carrots, and cabbage to tofu and toss lightly to combine. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts, and serve immediately.

Finally, I wanted to praise a cookbook called Off The Shelf: Cooking from the Pantry by Donna Hay. It is a brilliant cookbook for quick recipes using what you have lying around the kitchen. I made this Shredded Chicken and Mint Noodle Salad a few weeks ago, which was just brilliant. I'll have to post the recipe too.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger hello jamie: said...

YUMMMMMM, that sounds good.

June 13, 2006 at 1:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home