Tuesday, September 06, 2005

101 in 1001

A few months ago, in my previous blog, I posted a list of a 101 things I wanted to do in 1001 days. I had ripped off the concept from Jessica at Ultratart. Anyway, I have done some things on the list. Of course, it is a work in progress but without further ado, here is a list with completed tasks duly noted.

101 things I want to do in the next 1001 days. (Started January 7, 2005, which means I have until October 6, 2007)

1. Get my Ph.D. You can bet on it since that is a big one.

2. Have a mega-post Ph.D. bash where I drink all the champagne I can muster.

3. Oh, and a very elaborate meal to top this all off.

4. Get rid of my old computer, which has been cluttering my bedroom for far too long. [Completed July 2005]

5. Buy a food processor so I can make more complicated recipes. I want one of those pretty KitchenAid red ones. Not that I'm superficial. LOL

6. Organize all my favourite recipes into some kind of binder/index card/other form of system. [I've started transcribing them all on my computer. Still in progress though.]

7. Try golf.

8. Make the numerous CDs I promised to friends. [Completed on January 22, 05]

9. Buy a pair of pretty but not practical shoes without feeling guilty.

10. Go back to NYC. [Completed on January 28, 2005]

11. Travel to Europe or to the South Pacific.

12. Go skydiving or parachuting because doing something scary can be good for the soul.

13. Call my grandmother more often because doing something nice is also good.

14. Go ballroom dancing.

15. Spend an afternoon with my 95-year-old great aunt.

16. Run a half-marathon.

17. Devote at least an hour a week to non-work books.
[In progress as of January 22, 2005]

18. Reorganize my too-vast journal articles collection.
[Done, August 2005]

19. Get my Monet poster up on my wall.

20. Watch the "Guys and Dolls" DVD that has been sitting on my shelf for months.

21. Read all five books of the "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

22. Knit a scarf.

23. Which means, learn to knit! [in progress February 2005]

24. Lose weight & stick with it. I'm not even going to venture a number. Any weight loss will be a gain for my health. [in progress May 2005 & kicking butt]

25. Visit Casa Loma.

26. Go to the ballet more often.
[Got a membership for the 2005 season, and it has been a blast!]

27. Find a frame for that picture I have been meaning to give to a friend.
[Completed June 2005]

28. Buy a fancy piece of lingerie.

29. Make a cheesecake from scratch. Not the greatest thing to go with the weight loss but I'll bake only one. LOL

30. Buy bubblebath and treat myself to a nice long hot bath so that I look like a prune when I come out.
[Completed February 2005]

31. Go skiing at least once. It's been too long, and I actually used to rock the slopes.

32. Buy a small black purse for special occasions.

33. Go see U2 in concert. At least, attempt to get tickets!

34. Take another wine tasting course.

35. Also start a wine journal to remember which ones I like, and which ones should be avoided like plague.

36. Read a book about wine.

37. Start learning a new language. I'm thinking Spanish.

38. Travel somewhere where I can practice said language.

39. Get a massage.

40. Find true love. Well, you have to have tough ones in there.

41. Be more patient with my family. Also a challenge.
[Things have been good on that front in summer 2005]

42. Visit the Air & Space museum in my hometown.

43. Go to the zoo.

44. I must have cotton candy while I'm there.

45. Write a good poem or speech for my dad's milestone birthday.

46. Give money to charities and/or homeless people more regularly.
[In progress, spring 2005]

47. Eat a lobster.

48. Get caps on my front teeth.

49. Spend a peaceful weekend at a cottage/cabin and relax.
[Done, July 05]

50. Swim in the ocean. Any ocean.

51. Learn the names of all my students in a tutorial. (I'm so bad at matching names to faces.)
[I did a rocking job in spring semester 2005!]

52. Improve my poker-playing skills.

53. Play a game of Scrabble. It has been too long
.[Completed January 30, 2005]

54. Have my own apartment and decorate it as I please.

55. Repaint/varnish a piece of furniture.

56. Visit the Ben & Jerry's factory in Vermont.

57. Try blue mountain coffee.

58. Host a dinner party all by myself.

59. Fix the cable hooking to the TV more permanently so that I don't have to muck with it every other day. Tape doesn't work. [I’ve mastered the art of fixing it, March 2005]

60. Get my own Christmas tree.

61. Decorate it.

62. Make bread.

63. Clean my inbox and organize messages.

64. Make my own pesto.

65. Garden. I've always wanted to grow my own herbs and/or vegetables.

66. Play tennis at least once!

67. Getting a set of matching dinnerware.

68. Start building a retirement fund.

69. Give blood at least once.

70. Have a set of photographs taken by a professional. I had someone done years ago, and they are still the most gorgeous pictures of me.

71. Release a book in nature with Bookcrossing.

72. Sing solo in front of a group of people.

73. Hang a windchime besides my window because it is such a soothing sound.

74. Go see a movie at the Bloor cinema. [Completed April 19, 2005]

75. Read about musical composers to be able to know more about Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Puccini and Bach.

76. Collect all the articles for my dissertation in a timely fashion.

77. Experience the world as a blonde or a redhead.

78. Go see a play at Shakespeare in the park.
[Went to see Taming of The Shrew in July 2005]

79. Make a fancy picnic and go eat it in a park with a good book.

80. Buy new winter boots.
[Completed March 2005]

81. Put together my teaching portfolio.

82. Call my professional association in my home province to discuss my file. I really don't want to do it. Sigh.

83. Roadtrip!

84. Learn to use Photoshop.

85. Spend a weekend at a spa.

86. Create a system to organize my incoming papermail, books,...
[Done, August, 05]

87. Make my own cup of coffee every morning instead of going to the coffee shop.
[In progress, January 2005]

88. Bring my cat to the park so she can play in the grass.

89. Get a better chair for my workdesk.

90. Send letters to my goddaughter.

91. Buy an iPod. Or get one given to me. LOL

92. Have a girly movie night with my best friend.

93. Go iceskating despite my chronic inability to stay upright on skates.

94. Bake treats for all my close friends.

95. Read Pride & Prejudice. As long as I'm at it, throw in rewatching the series as well. [Completed March 1, 2005]

96. Spend a whole day in bed. [I did it on April 20 & 21st, 2005 but I had the flu!]

97. Build my own website.

98. Go tour wineries not far from here.

99. Treat myself to Godiva truffles.

100. Go berry picking.

101. Last one is a freebie. LOL

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yowza! Congrats on keeping up with the list. Let me know when you run the half and I'll fly out to run it with you. Pinkie swear =D

For the past two years, I have only had two goals. To buy a house, and run a marathon. I like to do things one at a time. =D

September 6, 2005 at 8:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ROCK, Gennykins! I love the list. Kudos to you for the ones you've completed, and best of luck on those you haven't.

September 6, 2005 at 11:29 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Go back to NYC. [Completed on January 28, 2005]

Whee! :)

(She played the game of Scrabble with my kids, BTW!)

*huggles Gen* I can help with a few more of those you know. Why didn't you buy lingere at VS when we were there with D?

September 7, 2005 at 9:25 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Hee, Gina. It was so much fun playing Scrabble with the two bigger ones; they were good too.

I never found much at VS that I really liked. We have a lot of lingerie stores here but I've never really indulged. Why spent 100$ on a beautiful nightgown or bra/panties no one will see? LOL The shoes though, I have ideas of what I need to go indulge in. Shoes + purses = love

September 7, 2005 at 3:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home