Wednesday, August 24, 2005

This Blog Is Turning Into TV Land.

I was just looking at my latest posts, and I realize I am in one of my TV phases right now. I apologize if I'm getting carried with my discussion of TV-related topics. I must say that I haven't been this gripped by TV fever since the mid-90s, which were the heyday of my The X-Files/Friends/Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman/ER/Ally McBeal bug! Well, I did have the few passing weeks of Dawson's Creek obsession in 2003, which I blame entirely on Pacey (LOL), but that didn't lead to too much rambling since I was too ashamed. LOL I think having found 3 witty shows at the same time on TV (The Daily Show, Arrested Development & Gilmore Girls) makes my brain happy. Plus, I do think my brain is bracing itself for the return of my crazy schedule in 2 weeks. I'm loopy on decent nights of sleep and home-cooked meals. LOL

As long as I am talking about TV, I found this
old interview with Stephen Colbert in my links the other day. In it, Stephen discusses that he co-created/co-wrote the Ambiguously Gay Duo with Robert Smigel. The Ambiguously Gay Duo has always been my favourite cartoon on Saturday Night Live so it is funny to discover he wrote it. Stephen Colbert was the voice of Ace, and Steve Carell was Gary. I wish I could see it again; it has been years since I saw them. I don't really watch new SNL episodes/old SNL reruns though; the only 2 episodes I saw this year were the one with U2 (for the awesome musical performance!) and the one with Jason Bateman/Kelly Clarkson.

The first show I remember watching religiously was Beverly Hills 90210, when I was in grade 8. What was your first TV love?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, never too much TV talk for me... unless you go overboard in the American Idol/Real World/Apprentice vein. Then I just can't relate. :-) But your top 3 of now I indubitably agree with, and with TV obsession in general.

My first TV obsession was Quantum Leap. Ahhhh, Scott Bakula. And sci-fi. And a moral at the end of every hour.

Earlier loves- Growing Pains, The Cosby Show, Punky Brewster. Bwah!

I loved Northern Exposure. Gennykins, you should rent that on DVD- I think you would really enjoy it. Very witty.

August 25, 2005 at 1:00 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Nah, I never got into reality TV much. The only reality show I watch on a semi-regular basis is "The Amazing Race". I just get excited by the travelling aspect of it. It's funny because I saw Amy Poehler on a late-night talk show this week saying that while she was on holidays with her husband, the wonderful Will Arnett, they liked to pretend they were doing "The Amazing Race". That is just totally something I'd do. LOL

I've never seen "Quantum Leap", I must say. I remember seeing Scott Bakula on TV as Murphy Brown's boyfriend. LOL I used to love to watch the early years of Murphy Brown, which was weird since a) I didn't know anything about American politics as a 14-year-old Canadian, and b) English no good at that time. LOL

I do remember liking The Cosby Show. I must say, I recently saw it on reruns on TBS, and it has not aged well!

Punky Brewster! I used to watch that (well, dubbed in French) as a kid. I liked it too, I must say.

I may just have to rent Northern Exposure. I know nothing of that show but if it's clever, I'm there. :)

August 25, 2005 at 1:33 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first TV love was Starsky and Hutch; oh and Battlestar Galatica


remaining anonymous for that one!;)

August 25, 2005 at 7:45 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's the Boss. I used to love that show! = 0 Lois and Clark came next, then the X-Files and now I'm obsessed with Arrested Development.

I stick to one obssesion at a time ; )

August 25, 2005 at 3:29 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Hee. Bee, it's funny that we share so many TV obsessions. I guess there is a thread between all those shows. :)

We should have virtual watercooler discussions for AD episodes once they start again. Monday, September 19, 8 pm! Be there or be square! Well, actually, I'll have to record it since I have choir on Monday evening. LOL

Favourite AD sight gag? Henry Winkler jumping over the dead shark. I snorted and laughed till I cried.

August 25, 2005 at 3:55 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Dear anonymous,
I was stumped by who you could be but I think I know only one person enamoured with Battlestar Galactica.

Love,
Monkey Butt.

August 25, 2005 at 3:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could always discuss AD the next day. I'm all for hot talk topics!! =D

Oh, Barry. I would be scared if he was my attorney. My fave is Lucille watching Buster come in the courtroom with a Mariachi and saying "Great, he's joined a gang" LOL. I'm crying right now! =D

August 25, 2005 at 4:35 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

That episode is brilliant in its entirety! Buster and his mariachi band in the courtroom and then, the judge says: "No camera in court" so we're left staring at the doors! Then GOB shows up to kick Michael's butt for trying to sleep with Marta. I had the close captioning on when watching that, and GOB asks Michael if he is wearing his belt and snaps him with it, I think. LOL Then, their girly fight in the grass. Oh, and GOB's music tape for sex with his own horrible singing. Bwah!

Barry might not be in the next season too much though since Henry Winkler is one of the leads in a new show on CBS. :(

August 25, 2005 at 5:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! And then at the end when Marta tells Buster "I don't even know who you are" -His reaction is just perfect. OMG, just a great show all around. =D

I.cannot.wait. for the second season to come out on DVD. It's out in October. Whee!

August 25, 2005 at 5:47 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Tony Hale is wonderful at physical acting. His facial expressions crack me up. I love the Milford man episode where he literally blends into the wallpaper.

I have to say my favourite plot point is still probably when GOB is looking for "that Hermano guy", and he keeps saying brother in different languages for no good reason. GOB is the best smarmy but mostly well-intentioned idiot on TV.

August 25, 2005 at 6:47 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Dear Monkey Butt-

Wrong!

*g*

I just don't want to show my age...

August 25, 2005 at 7:35 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Such a vain lady you are. ;)

August 25, 2005 at 10:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home