Friday, September 09, 2005

Fight The Future!

I don't why I have rediscovered my X-Files obsession lately but I have. Well, I think it has to do with this. OMNI 2 has started airing TXF, and they have put together some amazing promos. It's jsut really cool to see on TV. Mind you, it's certainly not the obsession it once was. Exhibit A of former obsession: I saw Fight The Future in theatre three times the week it came out. I even had taken the day off to go see it opening day. That, my friend, is dedication. Hee. No other show ever got my devoted viewership like it. I remember my mother rolling her eyes at the utter silence my brother and I required to watch TXF. Those were the days...

The X-Files just seemed to tap into something in my teenage years. I used to babysit on Friday nights so I would watch it from 8:30-9:30 on TQS, a Quebec channel. Thus, I initially watched it dubbed in French because we didn't have FOX widely available in Canada back then. Plus, the English-Canadian affiliate who broadcasted the show had it scheduled at midnight on Friday. I never used to stay up that late. Anyway, so I got caught up in the show somewhere in season 2. I remember the season 2 finale (Anasazi) cimented my fandom. That was one awesome episode.

My fondness for the show got squandered somewhere along the way with lackluster seasons 8 & 9, a somewhat disappointing finale, and X-Files message board drama. Over time, memories of fun times are again outweighing the jaded feeling I had about it all. I'm happy about that because it was an awesome show and it reminds of all the fun times I shared with my brother, watching TV.

Oh, and despite my not being obsessed with the show anymore, I'll happily skip work again to catch the opening day of the second movie. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Oh my, I can't even contain myself at the thought of hearing Mulder speaking in French. Squee! LOLOLOL

You may succeed in getting me past my jaded-ness which has nothing to do with S8&9 and fandom. (well maybe it does have something to do with fandom? *snort*) I had always planned on never watching it until Biggest one was old enough to see it, and watch it start to finish with him. Then I had hoped the sadness would have faded. Of course that would require me buying S7-9. Ick. Maybe someone will send me them complimentary?

ROFL!

As of now I don't think I can look at it still. I swung back into hate and anger mode.

September 9, 2005 at 4:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ay, my heart always skips a beat when I hear anything regarding the X-Files. I think my love for this show goes beyond the actual story or characters. Watching an episode takes me back to a time when things were simpler and easier(I know it's only 7 years ago, but that's a long time for me! lol). I don't care how horrible the show ended. Two bad seasons do not compare to 7 great seasons of conspiracy, drama and admiration. People think I'm crazy, but I want to have a relationship like M&S. They were equal partners that could have complete conversations with one look. They were beautifully flawed humans. *sigh*

And G, I think the some dvd eps have the option of hearing scenes in different languages. Very sexy, but nothing compares to his deep mumbles.

September 9, 2005 at 5:47 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

but I want to have a relationship like M&S.

I do too bee.

September 9, 2005 at 7:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't start with TXF until it moved to Sundays, but I caught up quickly as FX was airing it every night starting with S1. My first episode was the one with Tony Shaloub where his skin was peeling off, lol. And while I know you are all huge myth fans and 'shippers, I was always a Monster-of-the-Week kinda gal... and would have happily continued watching it for years with Doggett and Reyes if they had stuck to that. YVMV.

September 9, 2005 at 11:57 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

That was a very interesting post, Jamie. I actually agree with many points you made. Although I was a shipper, I personally wasn't exactly a big mythology fan. I much preferred MOTW episodes; in fact, most of my favourite episodes are MOTW. My top 5 is probably (been a while since I thought about this! LOL): Milagro, How The Ghosts Stole Christmas, Pusher, Tithonus & Memento Mori. I liked the mythology enough the first 5 seasons but after that, I really couldn't be bothered to try to decipher it anymore.

I enjoyed the MOTW but I must say without the M&S interaction to go with it, it lost some of its appeal. I guess I always identified with Scully's skepticism over all these things so once that was gone, the show felt different. I personally liked Reyes but I was bugged by Doggett. He just came across as not the sharpest tool in the shed and kind of boring to me. As you said, YMMV.

By the way, I totally didn't remember that Tony Shalhoub was in an episode... I checked which one it was, and that was Soft Light, which is a season 2 episode.

September 10, 2005 at 11:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home