Monday, January 09, 2006

And I'm Back!

Hello everyone! Happy 2006! I wasn't dead or trapped under something heavy. I didn't plan on taking such a long break from blogging but life just happened that way. I was away for 2 weeks at my parents'. I was busy there (seeing friends and family as well as working) but mostly, I've been really tired. I think my body just crashed on me. I had a sore throat for a while but that went away. Slept a lot at the beginning of my holidays although I've been fretting over a paper in the last few days which interfered with my sleep. Oh well, the semester will be insane so I better get used to that.
What else? Well, I hosted a dinner party last Friday with a bunch of my high school friends. I think a great time was had by all. I had made my little grape tomato/bocconcini/basil hors d'oeuvre, veggies with a sour cream/dijon mustard dip, a potage Parmentier (leek and potatoes creamy soup- but my mom actually made that for me! LOL), crusted chicken breasts with a goat cheese & almond filling with a side of honey-glazed carrots & snow peas, cheese & Port, and a chocolate cake for dessert. My dad was so nice that he went grocery shopping for me (I was busy writing a paper), and paid for all the food. I was so thankful since my budget is tight these days. As much as I like my independence, it is nice to have someone take care of you. My dad has always been so devoted and sweet that way.
I had a good time with my family although the topic of the hour really is: "When are you going to graduate?" I think I would almost rather have heard: "Do you have a boyfriend?" LOL This graduation thing has been driving me a bit crazy. My dad had to bring it up at Christmas Eve dinner, which was not cool, but he was a bit tipsy so his judgement was not the best. Men in my family don't drink much, thank God, because as much as they are the loveliest people sober, they tend to be jerky and unpleasant when they drink. Anyway, my uncles jumped at my defense, telling my dad he shouldn't mind his daughter is still in school. I haven't gone bad or whatever, and most parents would never even dream their kids would attempt a Ph.D. I still ended up crying in kitchen, which was due to all my insecurities and my slightly inebriated state at the time (although I don't need wine to cry! LOL). I did feel a bit pathetic doing it though.
What else? Well, I have lots to do so I'll have to continue my talkiness tomorrow. I have thoughts on Arrested Development being shelved (Damn you, FOX! Tell you friends indeed!), the book A Little Million Pieces which might be fiction after all (some people had recommended it to me but I didn't have a chance to get to it- I might skip it now), and a story about never seeing Brokeback Mountain because of a fire alarm...

6 Comments:

Blogger hello jamie: said...

GENNYKINS! I've been mourning your loss; I'm so glad you're back.

I watched the entire 2 seasons of Arrested Development over the break. It just ... KILLS me.

Buster: Mom is getting a little controlling.
Michael: What tipped you off? She locked you on the balcony again?
Buster: That was half my fault; I thought I saw a graham cracker out there.
Michael: (to Lucille) You baited the balcony?
Lucille: Prove it.

############

Lucille: Bring me a vodka rocks.
Michael: Mom, it's breakfast.
Lucille: And a piece of toast.

############

In response to something about Lucille's rape whistle:
Buster: Like anyone would want to "R" her.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Seriously... it's just too good. I hate America for watching trash like the effing bachelor #39 in paris and not tuning in to unmitigated brilliance like Arrested Development.

OH, and super-interesting article on James Frey, Gen, I have been recommended the book as well.

January 9, 2006 at 11:23 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

I wanted to know how you liked Brokeback Mountain and you never got to see it? Meh!

I am glad to have you back too darlin.

January 10, 2006 at 9:31 a.m.  
Blogger hello jamie: said...

Sorry, another:

Tobias: Well, I prematurely blew my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, so to speak, so now I have something of a mess on my hands.
Michael: There's just so many poorly chosen words in that sentence.

January 10, 2006 at 5:33 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

I have so many favourite quotes:

G.O.B.: Let me ask you something. Is this a business decision, or is it personal? Cause if it's business, I'll go away happily. But if it's personal, I'll go away, but I won't be happy.

Michael: It’s personal.

Buster: I am so sorry.
_____________________
Lindsay: Because, for your information, I have a job.

Michael: Really? What kind of job?

Lindsay: Beads!

G.O.B.: Bees?!

Lindsay: Beads.

G.O.B.: Beads?!

Michael: G.O.B.’s not on board.
___________
Michael: I tell you what. I'm going to give you the cash, but in return, I get to ask you for a favour sometime.

G.O.B.: My gut is telling me no. But my gut is also very hungry.
____________
Michael: Your uncle G.O.B. seems to think that he saw you down at the docks today. Was that you?

George Michael: No. No. Maybe it was the other George Michael. You know, the singer-songwriter.

Michael: Yeah, that makes sense.
__________
Lucille: At the banana stand. Oh, his work ethic is unbelievable. Unlike some sons I know.

Buster: I'm a scholar. I enjoy scholarly pursuits.

Lucille: (Sighs.) Suddenly, playing with yourself is a scholarly pursuit.
_________________
Lindsay: Look, I need to become self-reliant. It’s not going to last with Tobias. He’s completely oblivious. He’s got no idea how I’m feeling or thinking.

Michael: So there’s no sex?

Lindsay: I mean, how do you not have sex with me?

Michael: It is a struggle.
_______________
G.O.B.: Oh, that is just great. Now I'm expected to climb back on top of Kitty and do my thing again. I mean, this family runs into problems and it's “Oh, let's have G.O.B. (bleep) our way out of it.”
______________
Lucille: You tricked me.

Michael: I deceived you, Mom. Trick makes it sound like we have a playful relationship.

Lucille: Touché. Lupe, untie the balloons!
________________
G.O.B.: But you know that she's kind of used to being with me, right? So... it would be sort of like going from prime rib to—I don't know—weird brother of prime rib. So...
_________________
G.O.B.: Wait a second. What? You know Hermano?

Buster: Hermano is brother in Spanish, as in “Hey, hermano.”
__________________

G.O.B.: Hey, guy... They tell me you're the actor who plays Marta’s brother Tio.

Tío: ¿Como?

G.O.B.: You're going to be in a coma, all right.

January 10, 2006 at 7:43 p.m.  
Blogger hello jamie: said...

I almost fell out of my chair when Lucille mistook the "sleepy eye" on her Rx meds warning against mixing with liquor for a "winking eye" asking her to get a drink. SHE WINKED BACK! HAHAhahahahaha!

Gen, pop online when you have a chance; I need your expertise on a thing. :-)

January 11, 2006 at 9:40 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back chica!! 2006 has officially started.

Jamie, you better quit it with the quotes. You have girl with the $3,000 suit LOLing at work! Come on!!! Candy beans for all!!! ; )

I saw the author of A Million little Pieces on Larry King last night. He totally flubbed the whole book. He kept dodging the questions asked and said the he changed some stories to keep the anonymity of some people. Then they showed a clip where some guy was critiquing his stories and when they went back to him Larry asked, "What do you say to that?" His response? "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention" So sad.

And Brokeback was goooooooood. My only critique was the music they played whenever they were together. It sounded like SNL skit music to me. But Jack's "I wish I knew how to quit you" clenched at my heart.

January 12, 2006 at 4:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home