Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Anxiety Hour

Recently, I've been so busy, I haven't had time to worry too much about anything but allow me to freak out a little bit now. LOL Actually, I am more sad than anxious. Yesterday, the professor I TA for was having a nice Christmas dinner for all his students and TAs. It was lovely, and a good time was had by all.

During the evening, I was chatting with the prof's wife, a lovely woman, who happens to share the same profession as I. She was asking me what were my plans and so on. She was very helpful but she did tell me how the job market, particularly in TO, has gotten more difficult in the last few years. She was saying she has been pretty lucky with the type of work she has been doing but that many of her colleagues are finding it difficult to find stable jobs, and it seems tricky to make ends meet especially if you are single or have kids. She was saying that if I combine the more applied work with the academic work, it would probably work well. Nevertheless, being the person that I am, this led me to conjure up (in my head!) tales of living in a cardboard box (Damn imagination! LOL). Honestly, I am so discouraged and disheartened at the idea of being un- or underemployed after all the years of hard work I've put in. Have I really just been wasting my time? Sigh. I wish I had a silver lining to this post but I don't really have one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

But what about in Montreal? You had wanted to be back in Quebec anyway right?

A cardboard box---bwah! And you call me melodramatic sometimes m'dear. :p Your rational brain knows damn well you will never be under or un-employed. You have no idea what opportunities will be available or what may come your way 6 months or a year from now any more than your professor's wife does.

Don't make me come to TO to slap some sense into you. And your bitchy roommate. Hee. Jamie is right, to hell with the headphones. Make sure you play that Gray's Anatomy Soundtrack really loud too, she'll love the angst in that one. ;)

December 20, 2005 at 6:29 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Oh, I never said I wasn't melodramatic! ;b I try to repress it but growing up, my mom didn't call me St. Gen for nothing. LOL I had a flair for the tragic and martyrdom. ;) LOL

I am loving that Herbie Hancock CD. It is awesome. "When Love Comes to Town" is my favourite track.

Depending on how my work progresses, I might go to see Brokeback Mountain tonight. Nothing better to cure my blues than 2 boys making out. ;) ROTFL

December 20, 2005 at 6:39 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Nothing better to cure my blues than 2 boys making out.

omgwtflmao.

"Where's the video?" *snort*

I *heart* you Gennykins. That made me smile tonight.

December 20, 2005 at 7:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home