Thursday, January 12, 2006

Interview Merry-Go-Round

I've had a busy week. I had a day of interviews yesterday for the Toronto internship I'm hoping to get next week. I think it went fine but who knows? My days have been starting so early that that I fell asleep at 8 pm last night. Unfortunately, my roommate's cello playing woke me up around 9:30 pm. I got up for a while to make my lunch, put on my pyjamas and so on, but I didn't even make it to TDS. I'm becoming a big ninny. ;)
I got called for an interview for an internship in Montreal next Friday, which means I'm heading there next Thursday evening. I'll get to spend the weekend there, which is nice. I have to be back on the Monday to teach though. And to vote.
We are having a federal election Monday January 23rd. I have to decide who to vote for but honestly, I don't know. For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain we vote by ridings, which are basically the same as districts. We don'tdirectly vote for the Prime Minister of Canada, just candidates in ridings. The party that gets the most ridings gets the Prime Minister seat. In my riding, we have 4 candidates:
1) The person who currently holds it is a woman from the Liberal Party. She is a physician who has done a lot of great advocating for public health and health care. She has also tried to push to increase women's representation in positions of importance in the government, which is very laudable. But the Liberal party is also the current party in power that got caught in a major scandal of misuse of governement money. Meh.
2)The Conservative Party put one of their star candidates in our riding (see, part of my riding is the moneyed and influential people of Toronto. The million-dollar mansions, we got them.), who is a former TV anchor. He seems okay but I hate the party philosophy. They're very...Conservative. LOL The party keeps saying they'll try to fight to reverse the same-sex marriage bill. And at some point, they wanted to make abortion illegal. *rolls eyes* I think they backed away from that but I have no interest in seeing them in power, although they are currently leading.
3) We also have a candidate from the NDP, the party with a more socially-responsible approach to politics. I was surprised that the guy in my riding is a banker running for the NDP. These usually don't go hand-in-hand. I was reading his blog (yes, he has a campaign blog!), and he's pretty cool.
4) We also have the Green Party. They have some great ideals (particularly re: the environment) but sadly, they never win any seats.
I'm sorry I'm just rambling like this. I rarely talk politics but it is on my brain. I'm feeling very stream-of-consciousness. LOL

4 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I think it's great to learn something about Canadian politics. We are far too egocentric in America. I remember when I was visiting you there were election signs on people's yards and it seemed very random, LOL. Feel free to explain more. You know how much I love politics here.

Don't be a ninny!

January 13, 2006 at 12:20 a.m.  
Blogger hello jamie: said...

I would just like to point out the irony of your roommate who gets irritated when you watch TV with your HEADPHONES ON, playing the freaking cello at 9:30pm.

Seriously?

January 13, 2006 at 8:11 a.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Seriously.

January 13, 2006 at 1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

To be fair, she didn't know I was asleep (I just kind of passed out.) But otherwise, yeah. She usually doesn't play when I'm around (cello practice does make you want to pierce your eardrums.) Our neighbours are probably not too fond of her.

January 13, 2006 at 4:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home