Saturday, April 28, 2007

Move Aside Motion Sickness, I've Got Audiobooks

I am always in search of something to entertain me on my daily bus ride. I would love to read or do Sudoku puzzles but inevitably, I get motion sickness. I figured an audiobook would be a good solution, and so I went to the library and I borrowed Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim written (or in this case, read) by David Sedaris. I have not finished yet, but this is just beyond hilarious. I had to try to stiffle my laughter on the bus. The way he describes his parents' sleeping patterns as living with two housecats, his comparison of Santa Claus vs. the Dutch St. Nicholas, and his retelling of his brother's Paul wedding are endlessly entertaining. I suspect the audiobook may be even more entertaining than the written book since he imitates the voices of his family members and it is just hilarious. Not that he is new on the scene in any way, but I just enjoy when I discover a new author I have an affinity with.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger hello jamie: said...

I have that book. Hilarious. Me Talk Pretty One Day is also great, and Holiday on Ice had me in stitches. I read it aloud to my roommate while we trimmed the tree a few years ago.

April 28, 2007 at 10:03 a.m.  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Yes! National Public Radio (US) produced his Santaland Diaries (about his stint as an elf in a department store at Christmas) - so funny - look that up. Also recommend Barrel Fever.

I think for some of the audiobooks, his sister Amy does some of the voices, including Paul's.

April 28, 2007 at 10:56 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Thank you for the recommendations! :)

Oh yeah, I did see Amy reads one of his books. I don't know why I never read David Sedaris's stuff given I've enjoyed Amy for many years. She is always so entertaining on Letterman, and she was so good on Strangers with Candy. Actually, she was on TV last week on Andy Barker, P.I., which is what partly inspired me to look for these books.

April 28, 2007 at 8:37 p.m.  
Blogger Steve said...

Did you see that Podiobooks are quoting this post on their blog, you're famous now (well nearly).

http://tinyurl.com/yvs763

April 30, 2007 at 9:55 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Ha! That is very cool. Thanks for the link.

April 30, 2007 at 2:03 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh I kept meaning to burn this for you, so I am glad you listened to it. OMG yes the retelling of the wedding had me LOLOL as I walked my neighborhood.

When the little dog went to the bathroom, and David asked his brother, "Aren't you going to pick that up?" So the brother whistles for the doberman... *snort*

April 30, 2007 at 2:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home