Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Oh, Wednesday, You're Right In The Middle

Well, it looks like I am back to blogging more regularly. Apparently, I have things to say. Who knew?

Last night, after work, I attended a seminar/networking opportunity. It discussed the long-term cognitive effects of radiation therapy and chemotherapy in children who have had leukemia and brain tumours. It was very interesting stuff, given I know very little about child neuropsychology. I work at the other end of the age spectrum.
But, anyway, it made for a long day yesterday, and then I had 2 talks to attend from 8:00 to 9:00 and 9:15 to 10:15 this morning. Plus, I had two severely depressed clients to see this afternoon, which is tough because they're both in a really distressed state. All clients I see for therapy are having clinical depression and/or anxiety, but some of the other ones are not in such a dark place. As much as I am able to have leave that stuff in the office at the end of the day, it is somewhat draining at the moment when you're in the situation. Plus, I am still green, so I sometimes feel like I should be doing something more than what I am doing or that I'm going about therapy all wrong. However, as I have discovered from reading about cognitive-behavioural therapy, I have issues with wanting to do everything perfectly the first time around or else I want to quit, which is not a realistic or adaptive way of approaching things in life because a) it makes me sad and b) it makes me anxious. Instead of thinking "I can't do anything right and I am useless", I need to assess that thought realistically and correct it by saying, "I am human and I am not always going to do things perfectly, especially as I am learning. Even if I don't do it perfectly, it also doesn't have to mean I am doing everything wrong. My clients keep coming back so I am probably doing something right." Once you've been able to reassessed that thought in a realistic fashion, it decreases the amount of negative emotions. They're pretty powerful tools, those CBT techniques.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Evalina said...

Let's hear it for the healing powers of CBT! I think it's great that you're also making a point to look at your reaction to all these new and stressful situations. I'm sure it's hard, but I have faith that you're doing a great job.

April 18, 2007 at 10:23 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Hey, you got a blog! You had told me you would, but I am happy you have. :) That reminds me I need to update my "blogs read" list on the right. I'll add you in for easy access. :)

Yeah, part of my CBT endeavour is trying it all myself to see how it works. It can't hurt, that's for sure. I really held it together all day, but for some reason, I had reached the end of my rope now. I do feel better though now that I've thought it through. As my supervisor said, writing all that down is actually very helpful for patients.

April 18, 2007 at 10:52 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

By the way, your eyes as your icon?
It kinda cracks me up.

April 18, 2007 at 10:53 p.m.  
Blogger Evalina said...

Yup, those are my creepy eyes! I'm sure I'll change it at some point. I'm kinda new at this!
I can see how writing it down might help you, but did you read it out loud until you felt completely comfortable with it? :)

April 18, 2007 at 10:58 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Ah, you little CBT expert, you. Of course, I did read over. I felt the anxiety diminish fairly quickly so I didn't need to read it too many times.

April 18, 2007 at 11:02 p.m.  
Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

I don't know anything about CBT, but it sounds like your revised approach is a good one - you have to give yourself room to learn.

And thanks for the nifty link! :)

April 20, 2007 at 1:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home