Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Art of Vacationing

I must say I'm having holidays where I've been able to truly let go of everyday hassles. I would venture to say that this doesn't happen to me very often. Well, it's either that or I just forget I know how to relax after a few months of being busy. LOL Anyway, I'm really enjoying my time off. I got to spend a lot of time with my friend E, whom I miss dearly when I'm in TO. We had tickets for the TDS show I had mentioned before. It was really too bad it kind of sucked. Well, it was certainly not worth 50$ for what ended up being a 1 hour and 15 minutes Q&A. Bah. At least I got to see Stephen Colbert somewhat up & close. LOL We redeemed the evening by going to see Charlie and The Chocolate Factory after the TDS show. That was funny and twisted, and we had a great time!
Then, I spent Sunday and Monday at E's dad's house up north in cottage country. The property has direct access to a lake where no motorized vehicles are allowed so it's peaceful and the water is very clear. It was lovely to sit by a lake where the only sounds we heard were made by a family of loons. E and I went swimming in the lake a few times. We also went kayaking. We also had nice meals with her dad and step mother so it was a lovely time all around. Maybe except for the fire alarm that went off at 3 am but hey. Fire is maybe the only thing that scares me to a near phobic level. I have gotten much better about it as I have gotten older but nevertheless, you can guess I didn't sleep too well for the rest of the night. When we came back to town last night, E and I had corn on the cob. It's very early in the corn season but it was just so sweet and yummy. :)
Oh yes, I had fun last Friday with my high school friends although many of them skipped out on the party at the last minute. :( Everyone has busy lives, I guess. It was too bad though. Nevertheless, we had a very fun party where awesome food was had (a 4-course meal!), funny stories were exchanged, and good wine was flowing. It was a nice night.
Today is my mom's birthday so I spent the day at home. Not that birthdays are big events in my family. You get up, say happy birthday, give her a nice card and a little gift, and that's pretty much it. LOL My mom really hates the fuss associated with birthdays. Case in point, my parents were painting the living room when I got up this morning. It's just a run-of-the-mill day. My parents are renovating the house right now so it's a bit chaotic here. It's shaping up though. My mom loves shopping for decoration so she is thrilled with having to find the perfect paint, drapes, valence, accessories to match the colour. It's funny though how I realized my parents tend to be terribly conservative and minimalist when it comes to decor. They need a house with very neutral colours. It's looking nice, if a little boring in my mind, but so it goes.
I have lunch and dinner with friends planned for tomorrow, and I'm heading out to Boston on Thursday. Should be a fun weekend there! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home