Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Musicals Or Why I Think Life is More Fun When People Spontaneously Burst Into Song and Dance

After the date debacle on Friday, I decided to rent Bride & Prejudice. I wasn't exactly thrilled by the modernisation of the storyline of Pride & Prejudice especially since I don't think a line such as "All mothers think that any single guy with big bucks must be shopping for a wife" does justice to the brilliance of Jane Austen's novel. As an aside, some other brilliant filmmaker has decided to remake Pride & Prejudice. With Keira Knightley as Elizabeth. Ugh. I'm sure Judy Dench will make for a great Lady Catherine but still... The best adaptation of P&P was done merely 10 years ago. Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy, and Jennifer Ehle is Eliza Bennett. The whole cast was stellar in that production. Stop messing with that novel for a while! It is too wonderful to be triffled with.

Anyway, getting back to my original point, as much as I wasn't thrilled by the script of Bride & Prejudice, the music and dance got the better of me. I firmly believe that people bursting into song and dance make my day a whole lot better. I can be suckered into watching bad movies if it has good dancing and/or singing in it. My first ever movie obsession occurred when I was about 10, and manifested itself in form of the movie Dirty Dancing. There is no singing in it but the dancing! The dancing! And the awesome music! It is, hands down, the movie I've most watched in my life. Over the last 15 years, I think I must have seen it at least 50 times. I mostly rewatch the dance sequences. I never ever get tired of the choreographies. Okay, and I will confess that I like the love story in it too. ;) LOL
I have consumed a considerable amount of musicals of the years. The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Chicago, Moulin Rouge, Grease, A Star is Born (the Judy Garland version), Victor/Victoria, Singin' in The Rain, West Side Story, An American in Paris,... I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of them. It always made me wish someone would start singing besides me while out walking in the street, and all passerbys would start dancing in unison. LOL I realize it's an insane dream! But hee, my dream could have been more out there as I also used to watch people burst in dance and song in the office bathroom on Ally McBeal. ;)
Anyway, enough dreaming of living in a musical. I need to get back to work. I'm going to see Taming of The Shrew tonight so I won't be able to work all evening.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

"Nobody puts Diva in a corner!"

*snap*
*snap*
*snap*
*snap*

Pow!

xoxo,
G. <--- cool.

July 19, 2005 at 11:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home