Monday, July 11, 2005

Amazon Celebrates 10 Years, Heat & Terrorist Attacks

How is that for a post title? LOL I'm having varied things on my mind. I actually mostly have work things on my mind these days (I'm buried in books) but I need to talk/write about other things so here goes nothing...

I was browsing Amazon.com last night to see when the third season of NewsRadio would be released on DVD (soon, please, Mr. Simms!), and I saw that Amazon is celebrating its tenth anniversary, and having various activities to celebrate. One of the coolest things they are doing is the
Special Deliveries. A celebrity delivers a package containing a book he/she wrote, a DVD of a movie or TV series he/she appears in,... As far as publicity stunts to flaunt the wonderfulness of a company go, I thought it was pretty cool. I loved the clip of the girl whose Sex & The City DVDs were delivered by Chris Noth. Hee. The girl moved from Greece to NYC, and she said her cousin would tease her, asking if she had met Mr. Big yet. Her cousin is in for a big surprise, pardon the bad pun. LOL

Besides that, it's really hot in TO. We are under a smog advisory, a humidex advisory, and an extreme heat advisory. Yikes. We beat a heat record today; it was 34°C (93°F), 40°C (104°F) if you factor in humidity. It's supposed to be like that until Saturday. It was actually kind of funny how they kept reiterating on the news how hot it was, getting Joe Q. Public on the street to comment. Gee, I didn't notice it was boiling hot! It is kind of funny that they have created emergency cooling centres in a few points in the city, yet the province has asked us to turn off our ACs to conserve electricity. Apparently, the hydroelectric grid is at a breaking point. I'm all for turning off lights and non-necessary appliances but the AC? Is kind of crucial this week if I don't want to turn into a melted brain. We didn't have it on last night, and it was just unbelievably uncomfortable. We do turn our AC off when we're not home but that's kind of as much as we can muster for now.

Terrorist attacks... It's really terrible what happened in London. So, now, of course, they are saying Canada is probably next. That's not exactly a surprise to me. But according Public Safety minister, we're not psychologically ready for it.

My inquiries are three-fold:

1) How can you ever be ready to get the crap bombed out of you?

2) Is she suggesting we should now live in a constant state of paranoia to ensure readiness?

3) Should I buy more duct tape?

Of course, I am living in the Canadian city most likely to be bombed (we have earned this title 4 years running! How lucky are we?). Honestly, I don't really buy the idea that we can be ready for it. Sure, we have to protect ourselves against it but are we going to live our lives in constant fear that the other shoe is going to drop? What a terrible way to live. I think it's this powerlessness against these groups of extremists that is most frustrating. How can we stop them? The war of terror sure has done diddly squat.

The Daily Show was back tonight! In a new studio too! The studio looks nice but the only thing I'm not liking about it is the words constantly floating behind Jon's head. They were distracting me big time; I felt like it overloaded my attentional resources. It was nice to see him satirize the media sensationalization of the London attacks. Marci Hamilton, who was there to discuss her book God vs. The Gavel , was quite an eye-opener on the overprotection and exemption from the law religious groups receive in the US. She was talking about how the Catholic Church has been seeking protection under the First Amendement for keeping its eyes closed on cases of child abuse. And it seems to have been working. Truly disturbing.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

It was nice to see him satirize the media sensationalization of the London attacks.

The man thought this was all in such poor taste he was offended. (I think it was the Rob Corddry bit, and how Bush enlisted allies just to make them better targets...) Is there an irony gene that some people lack? Especially when I myself made a comment on this last week, saying: "Would the American media be paying so much attention to this if it weren't for 9/11?"

As for Amazon, too bad I didn't order the new TXF Mythology DVD set. ROFL ;)

Do you ever get discouraged posting all this stuff and it seems like the only people who come here and comment are Jamie and I?

July 12, 2005 at 9:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I check out the blogs!! I may not post, but I keep up with your daily lives (that sounds kinda creepy)

To me, posting is about writing down feelings to later analyze. People checking out my posts is an added incentive.

*hugs*

July 12, 2005 at 11:18 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Yep, I agree with you, Bee. I just write because it allows me to get things out of my mind. I used to do it in other ways before, but I like the blog format. Sure, it's nice when people comment, but it's perfectly okay if they don't. I have fun writing the blog entries, which is what feels most important to me. If it loses the power to entertain me, my posts were probably become few and far between.

Besides, I know some friends who read my blog but who don't post comments. I really don't have a problem with that. As long as they're not stalkers. LOL Besides, I voluntarily leave out identifying info (names, places, job description,...) besides the fact that I live in TO. I make it so I don't worry about strangers finding this blog.

July 12, 2005 at 11:58 a.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

True. You know, part of it may be that I have had so many issues with posting my feelings, be it my motivations, or revealing too much information, etc... that I am at a loss at what and how to write in them anymore.

I have also always felt though, be it a message board or a blog, that the dialog is fun and rewarding, so I guess I attach a lot onto replies. Plus, I'm such a narcissist. :P

July 12, 2005 at 12:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home