Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Music & Sitcoms: Chicken Soup For The Soul

This blog is a funny thing. It allows me to be as neurotic as I want to be, a luxury not really afforded to me in the real world. Well, except when talking to my mom & my very close friends, who know the weird intracacies of my mind. I was rereading my recent posts, and some of it reminds me of the tortured teenager I used to be. I was a good girl as a teenager (except maybe for the heavyhanded sarcasm! LOL) but boy, was I an anxious mess. I used to have a lot of difficulty managing it. Everything was a crisis. I was succeeding, at least mildly, at most everything I did but I was always waiting for the impending failure or the other shoe to drop. Fortunately, I grew up, and things got better. I became more adept at managing stress, and I noticed that things have a way of working themselves out. At the same time, I've also learned that I'll never be happy in a job where I have too much stress. Having to repress the anxiety-filled side of me has had its consequences at time, especially in terms of my health.

Anyway, two of my surefire weapons against stress are music & sitcoms. I've termed them chicken soup for the soul because I was being so new age, and had to borrow the names of those books! LOL I'm listening to classical music at the moment, and it just made whatever knots in my stomach I may have had melt away. I think that's why I love singing in a choir so much. There is such a power in singing at the top of your lungs. This semester, we are singing Summertime by Gershwin! I love Gershwin as many of you know; I just wish we had also sung Someone To Watch Over Me, which is my favourite song. We're also singing some Rachamaninov & Dvořák pieces, and one badass Bach piece, Lobet Den Herrn, Motet #6. This Bach is so tough because it have no melodic line that repeats. The harmonies constantly change, and it is just so hard to count the beats because it goes so fast. Still, it is an entertaining challenge.

I have now changed my CD to classic 70s Quebec granola rock. LOL It's from one of the most popular bands of all time in Quebec called Beau Dommage. They've sold an incredible amount of records/CDs over the years considering only 8 million of people live in Quebec. It's urban poetry about love, friendship, city living (mostly in Montreal),... I feel home just listening to it. They wrote one of my favourite songs in French called La complainte du phoque en Alaska (literally The lament of the seal in Alaska). It's about a male seal who sits by itself on his iceberg in Alaska, missing his girlfriend who joined a travelling circus in the continental US. He ponders whether the ephemeral joy gained from exhibiting in the circus is really worth leaving loved ones behind. Anyway, it's a beautiful love song to which I could never do justice. I never tire of listening to it. Another balm to my soul.

Sitcoms are the comic relief in my life. You never get enough laughter in life. I love my NewsRadio and Friends DVDs. Oh, and they've been airing Cheers on the Comedy Network, which makes me happy. :) I got say, Cheers has aged well (unlike The Cosby Show) but the one thing that has not aged well about it are the clothes. Dear God, Sam wears horrifying sweaters, and Diane's clothing is plain scary.

Finally, I did forget one other stress relief in my life. Cute, ain't she? :) I need to scan even better pictures of her.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gen, will you burn that cd for me?? Sounds wonderful.

I love "Someone to Watch over Me" too... esp. Chet Baker's version (I always thought of him as a horn player, but he has a voice like velvet), and Blossom Dearie. I'll e-mail you both next time I'm on high-speed.

TV is a fabulous escape route for me, too. My current fix is The West Wing.

July 5, 2005 at 10:15 a.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

God, if blogging is bringing out your teen angst, imagine what I was like at 16...

:p

I'm actually trying my best not to be completely miserable right now. I feel like I have nowhere to turn anymore.

July 5, 2005 at 12:01 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Jamie, I'll happy to burn it for you. The CD I have is actually something I made myself. I downloaded my favourite songs, and made a CD out of it. Unfortunately, some of them are not perfect although most of them are of very good quality.

I have Ella Fitzgerald's version of "Someone To Watch Over Me". I own "The Best of Chet Baker" and Blossom Dearie's "Once Upon A Summertime" but sadly they don't contain "Someone To Watch Over Me" on them. So I would certainly love to hear them!

Gina, I am sorry to hear things are not looking up. I hope we can catch up soon.

July 5, 2005 at 1:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home