Monday, January 23, 2006

Maurice Richard, Anne of the Green Gables & Larry David

Hee. Three people with nothing in common except me.

On Saturday night, I went out with my friend Eve for Vietnamese food and a movie. We went to see
Maurice Richard, an excellent movie about one of the greatest hockey players ever. Oddly enough, he played a catalyst role in the empowerment of French-speaking Canadians in the 50s. For a long time, French speakers were treated as second-class citizens in Quebec. They were other factors besides language, of course, but still, people couldn't speak French in a place of work where most employees were French speakers, management jobs were pretty much unthinkable if you were not English-speaking, and you couldn't even get service in French in stores and restaurants in the heart of Montreal. Maurice Richard was a taciturn hockey player, who didn't like to make waves. Despite being one of the superstars in the leagues, he was being treated poorly by the NHL (he was always being called slurs and being hit unfairly while the refs turned a blind eye, he was being ridiculed for his poor English despite the fact that he was the only one actually trying to speak their language,...). He got fed up, and fought back through publication of a newspaper column, and showed others they could fight back. Somehow, he got a whole nation, who cared so much about hockey, behind him, and got them to stand up for themselves. It's a pretty cool story. :)

After the movie (hee...back to my initial story), we ended up back at Eve's place for a cup of coffee, and we popped in
Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel. I got Anne of the Green Gables as a Christmas present so I felt like watching the second part, which I didn't have. I just love this series so much, as much as I did when I read the novels as an 8-year-old. Nowadays though, I really appreciate what a wonderful role model she is for young girls. She is celebrated by her family, friends, and her eventual husband (Mmmm...Gilbert!) for being educated, well-read, smart, and witty. Gilbert even says how he likes her because she is so smart, and gives him a run for his money in class. She has a limitless imagination, and wants to be a great writer. It was pretty revolutionary for the time but is still a good model for girls today. :)

On a totally different topic, I had the oddest dream last night. I was sitting in a park, and Larry David came up to me. I know, odd. He wanted me an opinion from a commoner (hahaha) about some jokes for a special he was doing. It may have been a special episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I'm not sure. Anyway, there were jokes about different TV shows (Lost, Grey's Anatomy) that I don't watch so I didn't know what to tell him. I was laughing at his jokes but I was embarassed because I wasn't sure if the jokes were really good. That's all I can remember. Weird. LOL

Anyway, I'm off to watch results of the elections to see what our next government will look like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home