Friday, May 12, 2006

OH MY GOD!

Okay, last night's episode of The Office will go down as one of my all-time favourite television episodes! I don't think I could do justice to the clever dialogue, the brilliant acting by the whole cast, the misdirections in the plot, and the most touching yet simple love declaration, which no one (even my spoiled little self) saw coming at all!
To recap for the non-Office watchers: Jim has been pining for Pam for years, but she is his best friend, and she is engaged to be married very soon. Pam is not particularly crazy about her fiance, but she stays with him before they've been together for 10 years and it is a comfortable situation. Anyway, we think Jim is coming to inform Pam that he has been granted a transfer to a different branch of the company, because his boss has mentioned to him that he should announce it to other staff members. Jim asked for a transfer because he knows he will never get Pam. He has decided that he needs to move on with his life, and he can't stand to watch her get married. Instead of talking about his transfer, he says to Pam "I'm in love with you.", and she is flabbergasted. So is the audience. She doesn't understand why he has to say this now, and he says: "I needed you to know...once." She turns him down, saying she can't. You see his eyes well up, and he wipes a tear as he walks away. I had to look away from the screen, because it was too much. My heart dropped in my stomach. Man, that is good TV! Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski acted their butt off in that scene.
The last scene of the episode has Pam on the phone with her mother, talking about what just happened with Jim. The camera slowly pulls away so you think, this is all over for the season. But then, Jim enters the frame. You think he has come to finally tell her he is leaving the company...but he kisses her instead. And she reciprocates. Fade to black. We have to wait until September/October for the rest. Ahhhhhh... Anyway, I will fully admit I squeed at that last scene!
Because I am feeling giddy from it, I have linked to a video of those 2 scenes (there is an abrupt cut because there was another scene in between) for anyone who wishes to see:

This wonderful episode inspired me to put together a Top 10 list of my all-time favourite TV episodes. I'll post it this weekend.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

I'm saving this season for my netflix! =D

May 12, 2006 at 8:43 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

I'm so buying those DVDs. The season 1 DVDs were awesome (lots of commentaries & extras), and this should be awesome too. My God, this was just great TV.

May 12, 2006 at 8:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home