Sunday, August 06, 2006

How Can You Not Love A Website...

Which has an entry this long about swearing in Quebec? Awesome. As you can see, unlike English where most curse words are associated with sex and/or bodily functions, all the curse words in French-speaking Quebec are derived from religion, most precisely Catholicism. It is so funny to read a list of curse words, especially since stringing them together makes them that much more potent when we curse. The person who wrote this was fairly thorough, because they even explains why derivations of the words fuck and shit are actually very mild curse words for us (the kind of stuff you hear on TV, and which offends few people.)

I never swear in French (or very rarely), whereas it doesn't bother me as much in English. I'm not a total potty mouth, but I have some favourite words when I'm exasperated. My poor mom who thought she raised a lady. LOL

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

I am the same with Spanish. I never curse in Spanish, but English? Whoa sailor! = 0

August 6, 2006 at 2:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home