Saturday, August 13, 2005

Arrested Development! NewsRadio! Favourite Songs & Albums! Kittens & Puppies! All About The Love, Baby!

I rented the first DVD of the first season of Arrested Development. I never doubted it was a show that I would like but I always forgot to watch it. It was really right up my alley. I love irreverent comedy. Just how I like them. It reminded me in many ways of the kind of humour on NewsRadio (still pimping those DVDs!) although the format of AD is different because it is filmed with hand-held cameras & has a fast pace...

My previous post had current songs I like but I thought it was time to do a top 10 list of my favourite songs & favourite albums of all time. I hope other people post their choices too. I love to read about great albums I might not know.

Top 10 songs (in no particular order)

1. Like A Prayer-Madonna
2. Tiny Dancer- Elton John
3. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant- Billy Joel
4. Bridge Over Troubled Water- Simon & Garfunkel
5. Let It Be- The Beatles
6. I'll Stand By You- The Pretenders
7. With or Without You-U2
8. The Path of Thorns (Terms)-Sarah McLachlan
9. New York, New York by Frank Sinatra
10. Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours- Stevie Wonder

Best cover ever: Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" covered by Billy Joel.

Guilty pleasure: "Brian Wilson" by the Barenaked Ladies

Top 10 albums (in no particular order) from the last 25 years. I decided to focus on more recent albums because a) it was just too hard otherwise, and b) I mostly own compilations when it comes to older artists.

1. Little Earthquakes- Tori Amos
2. Surfacing-Sarah McLachlan
3. The Joshua Tree-U2
4. Jagged Little Pill- Alanis Morissette
5. Play- Moby
6. Sheryl Crow and Friends: Live From Central Park- Sheryl Crow
7. White Ladder- David Gray
8. This Way- Jewel
9. Rumors- Fleetwood Mac
10. Welcome Interstate Managers- Fountains of Wayne

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I've been out of touch recently, gals. I love the music thread- I made a cd about 4 years ago of "Jamie's Top 10 Favorite Songs, Ever" and I was just thinking that I needed to revise it.

They were (in particular order)
#10. Heart of Mine- Peter Salett
#9. Something's Always Wrong- Toad the Wet Sprocket
#8. For Once in My Life- Stevie Wonder
#7. I Should've Known Better- The Beatles
#6. At Long Last Love- Frank Sinatra
#5. Tiny Dancer- Elton John
#4. Vienna- Billy Joel
#3. Spinnin' Wheel- Blood, Sweat, & Tears
#2. Mack the Knife- Bobby Darin
#1. Have You Ever Seen the Rain- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Definitely needs updating... ie: my favorite Beatles song is actually "In my Life," my favorite Elton John song is actually "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues," and I would definitely right now include "God Only Knows," by the Beach Boys, and "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," by Ella Fitzgerald.

I also did #11-20... no, seriously. lol.

Gen, ITA on the Billy cover of "To Make You Feel My Love." We just had a looooong discussion about cover songs here: http://boy1der.blogspot.com/

And also, if you want to try Tom Waits, please please please download "Please Call me Baby." It's unlike his other stuff in general but would probably also be in the aforementioned revised Top 10 List.

Project! ;-)

August 14, 2005 at 7:28 a.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Why is "Brian Wilson" a guilty pleasure??? I love that song! LOL

I have never heard that cover- I'll have to download it. I'll come up with my list in a bit...

August 14, 2005 at 9:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina, I e-mailed you "To Make You Feel My Love." Can someone send me "Brian Wilson"? I don't have it.

XOXOX

August 14, 2005 at 11:00 a.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Ugh. My Internet is super crappy today! The server is unstable.

I love "Brian Wilson" but I'm not sure it is a great song. LOL I'll make it into an MP3 and send it to you, Jamie.

I find it so difficult to pick one song from really good artists. Because I could have certainly picked many of your choices as well, Jamie! LOL I applaud for being able to rank it. I find it tough since I love different songs from different reasons; they're like kids! LOL

With Billy Joel, I love Vienna too as well as Piano Man. I guess I just really like Scenes from Italian Restaurant because I listened to how he wrote it and I was in awe at the mixing he did.

Same with Stevie. I love For Once in My Life too; it was a bit of a toss up although Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours just grabs me a tiny bit more. Oh, but then, there's Sir Duke, Higher Ground, Superstitions,... It's tough!

Elton John: I put down Tiny Dancer but I could have as easily picked Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road or Bennie and the Jets.

The Beatles: In My Life is so beautiful too. One of my favourite songs as well along with Yesterday. I can't explain why I love Let It Be so much but I just do.

Simon & Garfunkel: I love most of their songs but my toss up was really between The Sound of Silence & Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Frank Sinatra: Too many songs to count (My Way, Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, My Kind of Town, Fly Me To The Moon). I love Mack The Knife too though. It's too diiiiffffiiiiicult!

Songs that almost made the cut:
- Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton
- Landslide by Fleetwood Mac
- (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman- Aretha Franklin
- In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens

August 14, 2005 at 1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel

I just heard the live version of this, and wanted to cry. :(

Jamie, you did? LOL. Ok I have to go look at the files on the desktop.

I'll think about my list while I await biggest one at the airport.
One that comes to mind is "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House- specifically a live acoustic version done solely by Finn brother Neil.

August 14, 2005 at 2:17 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

"Don't Dream It's Over" is such a beautiful song. My friend Donna is a big fan of Neil Finn; I think she's seen him in concert if I'm not mistaken.

August 14, 2005 at 2:37 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

I can't believe I forgot to include Elvis's "Can't Help Falling In Love" in my top 10. This is going to be a work in progress! LOL I think Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" is getting kicked off for that!

August 15, 2005 at 4:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric Clapton - Change the World. That song ALWAYS makes me shed a tear. ALWAYS. =D

August 15, 2005 at 4:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G, I did. To both hotmail and comcast but it bounced both times. Must be my e-mail. Next time you're on MSN I'll ping it over to you.

August 16, 2005 at 7:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home