Saturday, August 20, 2005

Storm & The 40-Year-Old Virgin: Non Sequitur or Hidden Dirty Joke? You Decide! ;)

Well, it could be a joke but in this case, it's actually just a combination of things that happened to me today. LOL We had this massive storm this afternoon. Just insane. There were flooded areas around the city, which I hadn't realized until I read the news online after I came home. When I was finished at the lab, the rain had stopped so I decided to go to the movies. I went to see The 40-Year-Old Virgin since it was starring Mr. Steve Carell, whom I find very funny. I went to this one cinema located in a mall, but sadly, the roof of part of the mall had collapsed/taken water (?) and caused a mini-flooding in it so they had shut down the mall, and the cinema with it! The nice thing about a big city is the number of theatres so I went elsewhere. :)

The movie, just wow. Jon had praised it on TDS when he interviewed Steve Carell earlier this week, and he wasn't exaggerating. It was THAT good. I hadn't laughed that much at a movie in a really long time. Steve Carell's acting was top notch; I didn't know he had that in him. He was not only funny but touching. I just wanted to hug him at some points in the movie.

Overall, the movie was really funny & raunchy. I'm actually surprised they got away with a 14A rating in Ontario. It was sweet though, and it didn't feel like mean-spirited humour. Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, and Romany Malco, who played his 3 friends, were all really good. The ending was just hilarious. People applauded in the theatre! Kudos, Steve Carell and Judd Apatow for a well written movie. I hope it really becomes the big success it deserves to be. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I thought of you when I read the review yesterday, so I'm glad you liked it.

But the spirit of ''The 40-Year-Old Virgin" is not one of mockery, at least not exclusively. The writer and director isn't Todd Solondz, the maker of ''Welcome to the Dollhouse," who might have mined tragedy from this tale. It's Judd Apatow, who seems to harbor an affinity for losers and their eccentricities. He wrote and directed episodes of the cruelly short-lived television show ''Freaks and Geeks" and created ''Undeclared," a sharply drawn college series that also didn't last. So while Andy's predicament is a joke, the character is not.

There was also a nice interview with him at the Globe: http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2005/08/20/the_late_bloomer/

August 20, 2005 at 2:25 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Ah, I wasn't able to get the link to work!

I'm always happy when I can find movies that can make me laugh It is so much more difficult to make a good comedy than a good drama in my opinion.

"So while Andy's predicament is a joke, the character is not." I totally agree. It's all about walking that fine line between making fun of the situation and making fun of the character. It could have easily veered into a stupid or mean movie but it just didn't. Some critics compared it to "There's Something About Mary" but not even close. Personally, I didn't find "There's Something About Mary" particularly funny, partly because it felt mean/very stereotypical at times.

August 20, 2005 at 3:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home