Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I Am Woman.

A Tuesday mishmash. I am sitting in my office, looking at the beautiful golden-, orange-, and red-leaved trees. Too bad the clouds are so grey and menacing because, otherwise, it would be a spectacular autumn day.

The Boy is travelling on the West Coast this week so I promised I'd try to keep up the blog so he can drop by to see what I'm up to, if we don't have a chance to chat on the phone. That gives me an excuse to post more. :p

I was listening to the radio while working this morning, and the show was discussing the return of La vie en rose, a Quebecois feminist magazine. The magazine closed its doors in 1987 but they are publishing one special issue to celebrate what would have been their 25th anniversary. I'm certainly going to get it since the articles sound very interesting. There are not many interesting feminist magazines out there. Anyway, I wanted to share the photo on the cover because I thought it was genius.

A picture says so much. It's about the duality of women having to hide in certain parts of the world while others are hypersexualized. It has a 50s recall to Marilyn Monroe's famous scene in The Seven-Year Itch. I guess you could also say that it means that even under their burkas, women are flesh & blood and free. I think this picture can mean a thousand different things, which is why it is so interesting.

On a totally different topic, I must say I laughed my butt off reading a piece by Sars called
Office Space. I don't really work in a traditional "office environment" these days but I must say I recognized a lot of the behaviours she was talking about. And the anxiety about bathroom use? Hee. It's a good read.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*waves to boy*

Thanks for sharing Office Space, G! The hallway routine hit very close to home. =D

October 18, 2005 at 1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

The picture is wonderful. I wish I could read French. :)

Your comments reminded me of the article I linked to a few posts back, it was the same blog as the bling vibrator story, did you happen to read that? The book she referenced is Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women by Geraldine Brooks.

October 18, 2005 at 2:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home