Monday, October 17, 2005

Sure, I Play with Minesweeper but You Want Me to Do What?

What a Monday. This is to be said with a multitude of different tones. LOL Today, I spent my day at the hospital where my practicum takes place because we had a mandatory hospital orientation. It was so smurfy! A way for HR to justify their jobs. Anyway, most of the day was a total waste of time but I did learn a few things... If there is a code black (i.e., a bomb threat) called into the hospital, the staff has to go look for the bomb! We even have a plan of how to swipe our floor to look for it; rooms are either numbered 1s or 2s, depending on their level of priority. This whole mumbo jumbo totally reminded me of the game Minesweeper, with which I had an unhealthy obsession during the summer of 1994. My mom and I were having competitions. It was all very intense. LOL That does not exactly mean I want to be looking for real-life bombs though. I'm just sayin'.
My day started even more crappy though. I was reading articles in bed last night, and somehow I fell asleep with my highlighter in my hands... Can you see where I am going with this? Oh yes, I woke up all startled at 5:30 this morning to find that my flat sheet and my thick cotton blanket had 2 bright orange stains the size of...Navel oranges (LOL) on them! Lovely! So I had the luck of doing laundry at 5:45. I used Shout to try to get the stains off, which did the best it could, and I washed the sheets twice. I partly succeeded since it is not bright orange anymore. (Silver lining!) Sadly, I am now the owner of a flat sheet & a blanket with each a pink spot. Over the years, I've ruined sweaters, comforters, PJs with markers/highlighters/pens. This is just another chapter in the saga of "Highlighters are surrounding us, and they stain."
I went to the movies with the Boy this weekend, and we went to see an awesome Quebecois movie called C.R.A.Z.Y., which is an acronym standing for the names of the 5 brothers in the story. I really enjoyed the movie because it is a great coming-of-age story about a young guy struggling with his sexual orientation. I also loved the movie because it just reminded me of the Quebec I grew up in, with boisterous family reunions and kids wanting to go unwrap presents instead of sitting at Midnight Mass. Finally, the music in it is AWESOME! A mix of American, British, French & Quebecois musics, which is exactly how I love my music. You have David Bowie, Charles Aznavour, Patsy Cline, and Robert Charlebois all rolled into one, which is a rare treat. I've always loved Patsy Cline's Crazy. I'm listening to it right now as a matter of fact.
I'm spending my night with my computer and Patsy... LOL Have a good night, everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

awe poor Gen! Your highlighter story made me laugh, so thank you. That is another silver lining for you.

October 18, 2005 at 8:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great line from a great show....

"Do they listen to Patsy Cline in Canada??"
"They listen to Patsy Cline everywhere."

~LOST

Gen, I always fall asleep with my laptop on, and then 20 min. later when my corporate screensaver clicks on, I'm blinded and confused because it's bright white.

October 18, 2005 at 10:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home