Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Life Update

I spent a nice weekend with the Boy; we went to a party Saturday night and ran lots of errands on Sunday. I have a new shiny office chair, and the Boy got a very snazzy watch. :) I also got a very pretty wintercoat to replace my former coat that was starting to be a bit ratty. The Boy and I were also looking for Trivial Pursuit, but holy moly was it ever expensive. I may have to scour the Net to find one a bit cheaper. :)

I'm stressed out because of the piles of work I have but then, I went teaching this morning and it all seemed worthwhile. I forget sometimes that my work can be rewarding. LOL I had a double helping of students today (about 50 kids) since one TA was out sick. I thought it might be a tricky balancing act but I had students thanking me for helping them master a tricky concept at the end of the hour so it was all worth it.
The long weekend had not started so great. On Friday, I had an ultrasound (routine checkup), and as in a lot of ultrasound clinics, there were a lot of pregnant women in the waiting room. One of those women had this crazed boyfriend/husband with her. It takes me a lot to feel like I want to tell someone off but wow. This guy was acting so abusive. He appeared to hit her in the face at one point, although it wasn't clear if it was accidental or not. He was trying to put her wedding (?) ring on, and she didn't want to. She probably got stuck with this guy because she got pregnant. She looked at me at some point, and the sadness and fear in her eyes were overwhelming. Her boyfriend/husband kept shouting in his cellphone and was typing furiously on his Blackberry. At times, I couldn't really tell if he was talking to her or not since he only spoke Chinese, and I had no clue what he was saying. Another patient in the waiting room also noticed their behaviour, and saw I had noticed too. Once the couple left, that patient and I talked a bit, and she couldn't believe he was being so crazy in front of everyone. I felt so powerless in front of such a situation. I was really wishing I could have helped her. A pregnancy is hard enough without having the deal with a volatile partner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home