Sunday, November 06, 2005

Books, Movies & TV= Heaven/Haven

I finished reading The Secret Man by Bob Woodward this weekend. I had always been fascinated by the mystery of the identity of Deep Throat that it was certainly an interesting read. It was not an earth-shattering book, and I would dare say it felt self-congratulatory at times. It did offer any definitive explanation as to why Mark Felt decided to offer all this information to a journalist since Mark Felt is now suffering from dementia, and woodward never got a chance to really ask him what he helped him so much. Nevertheless, it was interesting to read how Felt and Woodward initially met, and read a bit more how the Watergate coverage unfolded, and what information/tips Felt was able to provide.

Last night, I rented
Fever Pitch and An Officer and a Gentleman. I had been avoiding Fever Pitch since baseball fanatism is not really my thing. LOL My mom told me she had liked it and since my mom is also not a sports nut, I figured I should give it a try. It was thoroughly enjoyable. The script was good, and Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore were both lovely together. A light fare I totally recommend.

As for the second movie, I had never seen An Officer and a Gentleman (I know! About as heretic as when
Jamie heard I had never had cornbread. ;)). It was a really good movie and I must say the last 15 minutes were particularly horrifying/awesome. One thing though...Richard Gere's character was supposed to be right out of high school in the story. He didn't really look that age...I actually checked on IMDb and he was 35 when he shot the movie! (As an aside, I also discovered Tiffany is Richard Gere's middle name. Bwah!)

Tonight, I got to watch my favourite Quebec talkshow,
Tout le monde en parle. Habitually, I don't talk about it here since it tends to involve people most of you, my devoted readership, have never heard of. However, tonight, Samantha Fox and Kathy Reichs were two of the nine guests. Samantha Fox was a blast from the past. I remember buying one of her tapes in the 80s. It was good pop music to my 8-year-old ears. LOL I must say, she is still quite a babe. She was charming, and it was very sad to hear that her dad, who was her manager in the early years of her career basically stole all of her money. It's sad when you can't even trust your father to look out for your best interest.

Kathy Reichs was there to talk about her most recent novel. Her French was good, despite her strong accent. I know she is married to a French-speaking Quebecer (her husband taught my brother a course in university) so that's how she must have learned French. She splits her time between Charlotte, NC, and Montreal. I couldn't think of two more different places! LOL Anyway, it was very interesting to hear her speak about her job of forensic anthropologist. It has taken her all over the world, from Rwanda (after the genocide) to South East Asia (to identify WWII remains) to the World Trade Centre after 9/11. What a job!

I need to get back to my work. Have a great week! I have a poker night on Tuesday. It should be great fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home