Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Woman's Worth

Well, it is more than I thought. LOL

I've had a really busy day but within 30 minutes of browsing the news on the computer, I have concluded that the last few days have not been great for women dabbling in political issues. The Eye Weekly blog linked me to a Macleans' (Canada's Newsweek) article about Michaelle Jean, the new Governor General, all about how she dresses and eats. I was also linked to a story at Crooks and Liars about Judith Miller, the jailed journalist for the Plame/failing to want to reveal her sources who told her the name of a covert CIA agent, getting her ass handed to her by Maureen Dowd, fellow reporter for the NY Times. I don't know if Miller is indeed a big liar and a terrible journalist; I haven't followed this situation closely enough. But it can't feel good to see your own newspaper put an article basically asking for your resignation on the editoral page. Ouch.
To come back to the case of Jean, what kind of dumbass fluff piece is this? I can't decide whether this is a case of sexism that strikes again against women involved in politics or if it's just the culture of infotainment that leads the pervasiveness of lazy journalism. Ugh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Well, I think Maureen Dowd is brilliant, so I am biased, but I must now go read all this scandal!

[soap box]All the information now surrounding the grand jury investigation has me screaming, "WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE??" I mean, WTF? Clinton was practially impeached over oral sex, yet these men allegedly engage in lies and manipulations that result in 2000 American service men and women dying!!!!! I just want to smack every conservative republican I see.[/soap box]

October 26, 2005 at 11:40 p.m.  
Blogger Brain Diva said...

Don't get me wrong; what I've read by Maureen Dowd in the past was very good. In fact, I tended to share her views. She may very well be right to smack Judith Miller silly. I just stumbled upon this tonight, and haven't had the chance to look how substantiated her remarks are. I'm quite lost about that scandal at this point in time.

Word to your whole last paragraph. Sometimes, I think people prefer to be outraged at inconsequential things that look bad rather than truly disturbing events that are being spun to look good. Makes for crunchier gossip, and a whole lot less disturbing.

October 26, 2005 at 11:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home