Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Late-Night Subway Blues

Riding the subway late in the evening gives me the blues. It's almost inevitable. Late-night subway ride + me tired and having time to think too much= me sad and neurotic. Even when I'm reading (as I was tonight) or I'm listening to music, insecurities find a way to creep in. My day was somewhat stressful, sure, but it was pretty good overall. Nevertheless, the subway ride is a time for those I'll-never-find-a-job-and-I'll-be-miserable-and-penniless-for-ever-and-ever kind of thoughts to creep in, followed by what-an-imperfect-loser-you-are, you-have-no-clue-what-you-are-doing-but-everyone-thinks-so, and why-did-they-let-you-in-grad-school-since-you're-the-suckiest-that-ever-sucked. I think they are only three little words that can make everything better: "SHUT UP, BRAIN!"

This post is brought to you by the letters P, H, and D.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

If you were really that pathetic you'd never be able to write such a clever, humorous post about it. :D

As far as I'm concerned, and I know this is irrelavent and unhelpful but valid nonetheless (lol), even if you never get a job in your field after that P,H, and D and then decide to go to cooking school, play piano, or have babies, you still got those letters because you have the intelligence and drive to accomplish anything you want. Something to be very proud of.

November 3, 2005 at 8:04 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Gen. I get lonely on night train rides, but I think there's something so romantic about them.

Of course, what's more romantic than loneliness and grief?

*weg*

November 3, 2005 at 2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hey, Gen. You're making me fear grad school a little. :) I'm sure you'll be fine. You're a smart cookie.

I really like your blog. Your links are almost dead-on with my list of favorites. I think I'll stop by now and then.

~Cat

November 3, 2005 at 3:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subway rides put me to sleep. I think it's the motor sound and relating that to 13 hour car rides to WA when I was younger. It doesn't halp when the trains in the Bay Area are cushioned and heated. hee.

One of my co-workers met her fiance on BART(our subway). I'm always on the look-out. ; )

November 3, 2005 at 10:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home